Shocking Statistics about Gun Violence
- Nearly 40,000 people died by gun violence in the U.S. in 2018, with more than twice as many injured. 61% of gun deaths are by suicide. 1
- In the U.S. there are more guns than autos and more stores to buy guns than there are coffee shops. At 393 million civilian-owned firearms, there’s more than one firearm for every man woman and child in the U.S. 2
- Approximately 380,000 firearms are stolen each year.3 The lack of a national registry and Congressional prohibitions make tracing ownership of crime guns difficult.
- More than 40% of gun-owning households with children store their guns unlocked. That helps to account for more than 2,700 children and teens injured and 110 killed in unintentional shootings each year.4
- One in five firearm purchases occurs without a criminal background check.5